Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church will be expanding in the near future. Benson Hall, the original sanctuary from the 1950's, will become the center of a larger Fellowship Hall with flexible multi-purpose gathering space for classes and a variety of events. The design of the addition, while providing the necessary function, will bring together disconnected elements into a unified whole.
In late 2013 Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church hired PWMA for architectural services for the building expansion. PWMA facilitated meetings with the church building committee to develop clear objectives and a defined program. By the end of 2014, the process had clarified and chosen appropriate options, received City of Flagstaff DRB approvals, and was given the green light by a unanimous vote of the congregation, based on Schematic and Design Development by PWMA.
In early 2015, the church signed an agreement with PWMA, including Structural, Mechanical, Plumbing and Electrical Engineering to provide Construction Documents. This followed the Design Phase hourly agreement. PWMA and sub-consultants completed CD’s over the six months from March to September 2015. Construction is projected to start, as weather permits, in the spring of 2016.
Renovating the existing building, the original sanctuary from the 1950’s, was the economical choice. The structural integrity needed to be maintained. Therefore, the existing columns remain, while movable partitions will allow the needed flexibility for different sized gatherings and functions. Existing CMU walls will be used as part of two fire wall assemblies that divide the project into different fire areas.